Hauser & Wirth
Hauser & Wirth is a Swiss contemporary and modern art gallery.
Hauser & Wirth was founded in 1992 in Zurich by Iwan Wirth, Manuela Wirth, and Ursula Hauser, who were joined in 2000 by co-president Marc Payot. In 2020, Ewan Venters was appointed as the first CEO of Hauser & Wirth.
The gallery represents over 80 artists and artists’ estates, including Mark Bradford, Roni Horn, Paul McCarthy, George Condo, Pipilotti Rist, Lorna Simpson, Avery Singer, and Rashid Johnson, and is responsible for artist estates and foundations including the Estate of Philip Guston, Louise Bourgeois, and the Jack Whitten Estate.
Locations and exhibitions
Hauser & Wirth has spaces in Europe (Zurich, London, Somerset, Gstaad, St. Moritz, Menorca and Monaco), Asia (Hong Kong) and North America (Manhattan, Southampton, New York and Los Angeles).
When the gallery was founded in 1992, it was initially operated from Iwan Wirth’s Zurich apartment. The first permanent venue opened in the former Löwenbräu building that became Hauser & Wirth Zürich in 1996, followed by a London branch in an Edward Lutyens-designed former bank on Piccadilly in 2003. In 2013, the gallery opened a space at the former Roxy disco and skating rink in New York. In 2014 the gallery renovated Durslade Farm, a collection of farm buildings in rural Somerset, to create Hauser & Wirth Somerset. The gallery also restored a 100,000 sq. ft. former flour mill, the Globe Mills complex, in downtown Los Angeles in 2016. In 2018, Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles was awarded the Los Angeles Conservancy’s Chair’s Award.
In spring 2020, Hauser & Wirth opened its first purpose-built gallery space at 542 West 22nd Street in New York’s West Chelsea art district, designed by Selldorf Architects. In July 2021, the gallery opened an art center on Isla del Rey in Menorca after a conservation project overseen by Luis Laplace, repurposing existing historic buildings on the island. The gallery was awarded the Best Social Responsibility Initiative by the Government of the Balearic Islands in September 2021, listed as one of the ‘2022 Works of Wonder’ by the international editors of Architectural Digest and named ‘Best Art Destination’ in the Wallpaper* Design Awards 2022. In 2021 Hauser & Wirth acquired the Thomas Goode building at 19 South Audley Street in Mayfair to create a new flagship gallery in London joining its Savile Row space.
In June 2022 the gallery announced the opening of a new space in Paris. Paris-based architect Luis Laplace was appointed to oversee renovations of the location, a 19th-century hôtel particulier.
Since 1992, Hauser & Wirth has mounted exhibitions internationally, including:
- ‘Alexander Calder. Mobiles and Gouaches’ / ‘Joan Miró. Sculptures and Paintings’ in Zurich (1992)
- The installation of Roth Bar at Dieter Roth‘s solo exhibition at the Zurich gallery in 1997
- ‘David Hammons’ at Hauser & Wirth Zürich (2003); *a presentation of works from the Onnasch Collection at Hauser & Wirth London and New York, 18th Street (2013)
- The inaugural exhibition at Hauser & Wirth Los Angeles: ‘Revolution in the Making: Abstract Sculpture by Women, 1947 – 2016’ (2016)
- ‘Schwitters Miró Arp’ at Hauser & Wirth London (2016)
- ‘Louise Bourgeois & Pablo Picasso: Anatomies of Desire’ at Hauser & Wirth Zürich (2019);
- Hauser & Wirth Menorca’s inaugural exhibition ‘Mark Bradford. Masses and Movements’ (2021).
Hauser & Wirth’s publishing activity extends back to 1992 and consists of monographs, artists' books, historic exhibition catalogues, collections of artists' writings and catalogues raisonnés. These include ‘Eva Hesse Diaries’, ‘Louise Bourgeois & Pablo Picasso: Anatomies of Desire’, and the re-release of the first Marcel Duchamp monograph and catalogue raisonné in 2021.
In June 2019, Hauser & Wirth Publishers opened a stand-alone headquarters and bookshop in the historic center of Zurich, Switzerland. The Zurich headquarters occupies the former home of the Oprecht & Helbling bookshop and the Europa Verlag publishing house.
In 2019, the Hauser & Wirth Publishers’ book ‘Dubuffet and the City: People, Place, and Urban Space’ by Sophie Berrebi received the Richard Schlagman Art Book Awards for art history and best book design. ‘Alexander Calder: From the Stony River to the Sky’, designed by Atelier Dyakova, received the 2020 German Design Award. In 2021, ‘Marcel Duchamp’ was named one of the best art books of the year by the New York Times, ARTnews, and Wallpaper*.
Partnerships and learning
Hauser & Wirth Somerset began an artist-in-residence program in 2013 inviting artists to spend an extended period of time living and working in Bruton. Previous artists-in-residence include Pipilotti Rist, Bharti Kher, Mark Wallinger, Rashid Johnson, Martin Creed, Henry Taylor, and Thomas J Price.
Hauser & Wirth collaborates with local educational institution Cal State LA, and in 2019, Cal State LA’s television, film, and media studies department received a one-million dollar grant from the gallery. Hauser & Wirth has partnered with CalArts and the Bath School of Art and Design, Bath Spa University (UK) on an annual MFA residency exchange program at its Los Angeles and Somerset galleries, which launched in 2017.
Since 2020, Hauser & Wirth has collaborated with Hunter College, hosting exhibitions of artists’ work enrolled in the school’s MFA Program in Studio Art both online and at Hauser & Wirth New York, as well as with the South London Gallery. In October 2020, the gallery brought together more than 100 artists for ‘Artists For New York’ to support several local museums and organizations that had been profoundly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Somerset, the gallery formed Arthaus for young people who are interested in learning more about art and architecture. Hauser & Wirth launched The Gustav Metzger Foundation Scholarship in 2021, partnering with Dartington Arts School by supporting a student on the ‘Arts and Place’ MA course. Also in 2021, Hauser & Wirth Menorca launched its first Education Lab during its inaugural exhibition with Mark Bradford. The artist led an art education residency with students from l’Escola d’Art de Menorca.
In November 2022, Iwan Wirth announced the gallery's first online auction, "Art for Better", which supported the humanitarian aid programs of UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency. The gallery raised $4,585,000 (USD), with all proceeds going to support UNHCR. All of the twelve offered lots were sold at the auction and were donated by gallery artists Rita Ackermann, Larry Bell, Frank Bowling, George Condo, Martin Creed, Estate Günther Förg, Rashid Johnson, Glenn Ligon, Angel Otero, Thomas J Price, Avery Singer and Anj Smith.
In March 2021, Hauser & Wirth appointed a full-time Head of Environmental Sustainability to work on the gallery’s climate action plan and commitment to halve the gallery’s carbon emissions by 2030. In 2021, the gallery began to calculate the carbon produced by exhibitions and fairs using this data to set carbon budgets to achieve a commitment to the Paris agreement of 50% reduction. In addition, Hauser & Wirth has enrolled in the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), to measure, track and monitor reductions. An exhibition of Gustav Metzger at Hauser & Wirth Somerset in 2021 is the first show to have a Climate Impact Report (CIR) published on the artist-led sustainability platform Artists Commit.
Hauser & Wirth is a patron of the Gallery Climate Coalition (GCC) and also supports Art to Acres, an initiative for artists, gallerists and collectors with a mission to support large-scale land conservation, launching fundraising prints with artists such as Jenny Holzer in 2020. In 2021, the gallery partnered with the Menorca Preservation Fund upon the opening of the gallery in Menorca, a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
The Midland Bank building by Sir Edwin Lutyens at 196A Piccadilly, built 1922–1923, photographed in 2010
- ^ "Après Hong Kong, Los Angeles ou New York, la galerie Hauser & Wirth s'installe à Monaco". Monaco-Matin (in French). 2021-05-04. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- ^ "Manuela Wirth". The Gentlewoman. Issue n 13, Spring & Summer 2016.
- ^ a b Gerlis, Melanie (2020-01-10). "The Art Market — will Hockney make a splash at Sotheby's?". Financial Times.
- ^ Solomon, Tessa (2020-09-08). "Hauser & Wirth Hires U.K. Department Store Head as the CEO". ARTnews.com.
- ^ "Amy Sherald is Joining Hauser & Wirth, the Mega-Gallery Announced its Worldwide Representation of the Baltimore-Based Artist". Culture Type. 2018-03-21.
- ^ a b Cheshes, Jay (2020-04-01). "How One of the Art World's Biggest Galleries Is Breaking New Ground". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660.
- ^ Douglas, Sarah (2020-01-08). "Artist Paul McCarthy: 'The Art World Has Become More Corporate'". ARTnews.com.
- ^ "George Condo Now Represented by Mega Art Dealer, Hauser & Wirth". HYPEBEAST. 2020-01-15.
- ^ Kennedy, Randy (2016-10-21). "Pipilotti Rist, Provoking With Delight". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331.
- ^ Dodson, Jewels (2021-09-28). "Inside Lorna Simpson's Tireless Pursuit of Transformative Images". Artsy.
- ^ "Avery Singer Pushes the Limits of Painting". W Magazine.
- ^ "An interview with Rashid Johnson". Apollo Magazine. 2020-11-08.
- ^ "ArtDependence | Hauser & Wirth is pleased to announce representation of the Estate of Philip Guston". www.artdependence.com.
- ^ Hodge, Gavanndra (2020-10-01). "How Hauser & Wirth built a global empire". www.standard.co.uk.
- ^ "Hauser & Wirth Announces Its Representation of Painter Jack Whitten". Culture Type. 2016-04-16.
- ^ Kinsella, Eileen (2021-06-17). "Mega-Gallery Hauser and Wirth Is Opening a New Space in Yet Another Posh Vacation Hub: Monaco". Artnet News.
- ^ a b "Hauser & Wirth Menorca crowned Best Art Destination: Wallpaper* Design Awards 2022". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2021-07-19.
- ^ "Paul McCarthy, Hauser and Wirth, London". The Guardian. 2003-11-04.
- ^ "Hauser & Wirth opens a new gallery in downtown New York". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2013-01-25.
- ^ a b c Fite-Wassilak, Chris (2019-12-20). "How Hauser & Wirth Took Over the World". Frieze.
- ^ "Off the scale: Hauser & Wirth's new West Coast outpost is an art behemoth". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2016-03-18.
- ^ "L.A. Conservancy Announces 2018 Preservation Award Recipients". www.laconservancy.org.
- ^ "Hauser & Wirth Menorca to open after two-year conservation project". Archinect.
- ^ a b "Hauser & Wirth Menorca crowned Best Art Destination: Wallpaper* Design Awards 2022". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2021-07-19.
- ^ "El Govern dels Illes Balears lliura els Premis del Turisme 2021". www.caib.es.
- ^ "WOW List 2022". Architectural Digest.
- ^ Gerlis, Melanie (2021-12-09). "Galleries expand their reach in London". Financial Times.
- ^ "Hauser & Wirth Will Open Location in Paris, Tapping City's Rise as Art Market Capital". ARTnews.com. June 1, 2022.
- ^ "The "Transparent" Works of Alexander Calder and Francis Picabia Are Put in Dialogue". Architectural Digest. 2015-06-30.
- ^ "A fluid approach: Roth Bar takes pride of place at Basel's Les Trois Rois". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2015-06-16.
- ^ Kinsella, Eileen (2019-01-23). "David Hammons Will Have His First LA Solo Show in More Than 45 Years at Hauser & Wirth". Artnet News.
- ^ "Hauser & Wirth shows fine works from the Onnasch collection". Financial Times. 2013-09-27.
- ^ "Aesthetica Magazine - Revolution in the Making: Abstract Sculpture by Women, Hauser & Wirth, Los Angeles". Aesthetica Magazine.
- ^ "Gaga for Dada: Zurich's centenary exhibitions reviewed". Financial Times. 2016-06-17.
- ^ Spence, Rachel (2019-06-12). "Louise Bourgeois and Pablo Picasso go head to head". Financial Times.
- ^ "Mark Bradford's epic show puts Hauser & Wirth Menorca on the map". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2021-06-19.
- ^ Cascone, Sarah (2018-07-27). "Hauser & Wirth Teams Up With MoMA PS1's Book Shop to Celebrate the Joys of Art Publishing With a Summer Event Series". Artnet News.
- ^ "Neues Leben für Dr. Oprecht". Tages-Anzeiger (in German). ISSN 1422-9994.
- ^ Schwabsky, Barry (2016-10-16). "Reader's Diary: 'Eva Hesse: Diaries'". Hyperallergic.
- ^ "BOOK:Louise Bourgeois & Pablo Picasso-Anatomies of Desire,Hauser & Wirth Publishers – dreamideamachine ART VIEW".
- ^ "Marcel Duchamp monograph released more than 60 years after it first appeared in print". The Art Newspaper - International art news and events. 2021-11-04.
- ^ Greenberger, Alex (2019-04-08). "Hauser & Wirth Publishers to Open New Headquarters, Bookshop in Zurich". ARTnews.com.
- ^ "How Zurich became the centre of Europe's avant-garde". The Independent. 2020-11-09.
- ^ "Richard Schlagman Art Book Awards". Whitechapel Gallery.
- ^ "Alexander Calder: From the Stony River to the Sky - Winner - Books and Calendars - German Design Award". www.german-design-award.com.
- ^ Cotter, Holland; Smith, Roberta; Farago, Jason; Mitter, Siddhartha (2021-12-09). "Best Art Books of 2021". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331.
- ^ "The Best Art Books of 2021". ARTnews.com. 2021-12-17.
- ^ "12 best contemporary art books: a guide". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2021-12-16.
- ^ a b Mason, Brook (2019-08-13). "Dealers Already Give Their Star Artists Plenty of Money and Space. Now They're Giving Them Luxurious Residencies, Too". Artnet News.
- ^ Cook, William. "How a Somerset farm became a hub for modern art | The Spectator". www.spectator.co.uk.
- ^ Fowler, William (2017-06-04). "'Blackness can be empowering' … meet the American artist adjusting to Somerset life". The Guardian.
- ^ Epps, Philomena (2016-05-24). "Martin Creed on Why Art Can't Ignore the World around It". Artsy.
- ^ Smart, Alastair (2021-04-23). "Jay-Z favourite Henry Taylor is painterly first, political second". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235.
- ^ "Last chance to see: Thomas J Price reimagines the role of public sculptures at Hauser & Wirth". Wallpaper* Magazine. 2021-10-01.
- ^ Stromberg, Matt (2019-01-28). "Cal State LA Students Embark on Making Documentaries with Million Dollar Grant from Hauser & Wirth". Hyperallergic.
- ^ "Hauser & Wirth's Artist Residency Exchange at CalArts and Bath School". SCVNews.com. 2017-08-23.
- ^ "We Were Already Gone at Hauser & Wirth, May 14". Department of Art and Art History. 2021-05-13.
- ^ "Schools". South London Gallery.
- ^ Kinsella, Eileen (2020-09-10). "Hauser & Wirth Has Rallied More Than 100 Artists for a Fundraiser to Rescue the Queens Museum and 15 Other At-Risk Nonprofits". Artnet News.
- ^ "Scholarships at UK universities for people seeking asylum. D-H". www.refugee-study.co.uk.
- ^ a b "Laplace and Piet Oudolf transform 18th-century naval hospital into Hauser & Wirth art gallery". Dezeen. 2021-07-20.
- ^ "A season of sales ventures in the run-up to Miami Beach". Financial Times. November 3, 2022.
- ^ a b "Hauser and Wirth's Foray Into Auction Territory Exceeds Expectations, Raising More Than $4 Million for Charity". Artnet News. December 14, 2022.
- ^ Brown, Kate (2021-03-05). "Hauser and Wirth Is Hiring a Full-Time Head of Environmental Sustainability to Halve the Gallery's Carbon Emissions by 2030". Artnet News.
- ^ "Carbon Reporting and Setting a Science Based Target (SBTi) for your Gallery". Gallery Climate Coalition.
- ^ "Companies taking action". Science Based Targets.
- ^ "GUSTAV METZGER | Hauser and Wirth". ARTISTS COMMIT.
- ^ "Jenny Holzer Made a Limited-Edition Print in Honor of Earth Day". W Magazine.